Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8, 2018


Still Waters


“You lead me beside still waters.”  Ps. 23:2

In Psalm 23 we read about the Lord “leading us beside still waters.”  It is a beautiful verse in a beautiful Psalm, and speaks of the peace we can find in the stillness.  Animals drink from still waters.   The Bible also describes how we can hear His “still, small voice” as the Lord speaks to us.  Often times we need to quiet ourselves, our congregations, in order to prepare to hear from God. 

The problem with still waters is that after a period of time, if there is no movement, such waters become stagnant.  We have all seen stagnant water – with a film over the top – undrinkable.  It often carries an unpleasant odor, driving us away from the water, rather than leading us to it.  Since water symbolizes the Holy Spirit, being near water is a good thing.

So it was with the church at Sardis, and serves as a warning sign for local churches today.  Constant stillness will lead to stagnation.  In this we learn a valuable lesson:  while it is easy to pull out a convenient Scripture to meet our needs; we are always better off asking God what spiritual season we are in, to know how best to apply the word of God for that season.  Let’s take a moment to ask the Lord right now, in our own lives, what spiritual season He has us in.  Consider the following seasons:

  1. Lord, is it the season of still water in my life?
  2. God, am I in the season of gently stirring waters?
  3. Father, is this the season of waters with a rippling effect?
  4. Lord, is it a season of waves coming in my life?
  5. God, is the current flowing in the water?
  6. Father, am I in a stream season, lake season, river season, or sea season?
  7. Have the waters grown stagnant in my life?  If so, please forgive me, Father.  Change me and stir the waters in my life according to the season I am in.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment