Tuesday, April 17, 2018

April 17th, 2018


Our Motivation

Another time Jesus went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there.  Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath.  Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.”   Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent. He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored. Then the Pharisees went out and began to plot with the Herodians how they might kill Jesus.  Mk. 3:1-6
O God, how is that You have placed me, a simple servant, here in the synagogue today?  Could it be to see for myself this man, Jesus, the one they call the prophet?
I am confused by what I see Lord.  The Pharisees seem to be intent on accusation, condemnation and destruction of this Jesus.  They seem to care little about the needs of the man with the diseased hand, as they focus their attention on Jesus.  Their eyes are on His every step and their ears hear His simple words.  God, You created the seventh day as one of rest as a gift to us.  Now this carpenter’s son appears to violate that gift, yet what He does is life-giving.  I saw the healing with my own eyes!  How can that be wrong?  God help me to understand this conflict.
As I look closely from this corner where I work, I can see the motives of the Pharisees and Jesus are very different.  Jesus has a motivation of serving – His motivation is love.  I cannot say the same for these Pharisees.  Their hearts are filled with anger, stubbornness, and fear.  They are intent on proving Jesus wrong and want to trap Him.  Then, when Jesus walks right through their traps unscathed, the religious get even angrier!  God, I cannot see that Jesus has done anything wrong today.  Why would You show me this?  I don’t like it.  Are You trying to speak to me through what has happened today?  I am but a simple servant – I sweep and clean here in the synagogue. 
Could You be reminding me to examine my heart and my motives?  The Psalmist wrote,”Search my heart O Lord,” and so I pray that yes, Lord, search my heart and show me my true motivation.  I want it to be like Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment