Friday, March 9, 2018

March 9th, 2018


Forgiveness


“Forgive them, for they know not what they do.”  Lk. 23:42

It was midnight at midday.  The place was Calvary, scene of the greatest human ministry people have ever known.  It was a Friday and Jesus, having been arrested and charged with the label, King of the Jews, was demanded by the people to be crucified.  So He was brought to the hill, nailed to the cross, and as the hours passed by, Jesus ministered from that cross.  He ministered until the prophecies were fulfilled and He accomplished that which needed to be done.  He ministered in prayer from the cross, prayer even for His enemies.  Jesus spoke words of life from the cross – seven times He spoke – to fulfill and complete things.  One day I realized – He spoke those words for me.


Luke 23:42 indicates that Jesus spoke from the cross: “Forgive them, for they know not what they do.”  Bloodied, beaten and nailed, Jesus’ first spoken words were words of forgiveness.  Forgive them:  the Roman soldiers; forgive them, the politicians; forgive them, the Jewish priests.  Father, said the Son, forgive them – they don’t know what it is that they do.  They all failed to understand the fullness of WHAT they were doing to Jesus.  It was after the beating, the whipping, the questioning, the accusing – it was AFTER all of that, when Jesus hung from that cross, that He asked His Father to forgive them.


I began to realize Jesus was saying, “Father, forgive her.  Forgive them.  They don’t know what they do.”  I began to see in my heart that in the moments, the hours of the cross, Jesus identified with me – with all of us.  There He was, afflicted, beaten, and accused.  I understood that Jesus had to ask His Father to forgive – forgive all of us – because Jesus hung there for us.  He was my substitute, not in the place of authority, but in the place of sacrifice.  I realized I’d sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.  His first spoken words released me, cleansed me.  I was forgiven, as His blood flowed.  I accepted His forgiveness and was set free.

No comments:

Post a Comment