Wednesday, July 18, 2018

July 18th, 2018


Still Living by Faith


“All these people were still living by faith when they died.  They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.”  Heb. 11:13

By faith Abel.  By faith Enoch.  By faith Noah, Abraham, and Sarah.  This luminous cast from the roll call of faith in Hebrews 11 builds up to a very crucial point, made in verse 13.  None of these people received what they were promised while they were living.  They were still living by faith when they died.

I wonder sometimes if I get too worked up when I don’t receive quickly the things I believe God has promised me.  Do I question my faith?  Do I begin to doubt whether it was really God?  Are some of God’s promises held out beyond my years encased in this flesh on this earth?

The answer is: yes.  I will not inherit all the promises of God until the time of the new heaven and earth.  But I can picture some of them in my mind’s eye, albeit from a very far distance.  The challenge is for me to live out my days with faith – believing in what I do not see or fully comprehend.  Yet I welcome that which has been promised me – life everlasting with God.  I welcome fullness of health, peace, joy.  I peer into distance and can catch a glimpse of restored relationships.  I welcome all these things.  I won’t see them all manifested here, but Lord, let me be one who lives by faith and not be the one to rush Your perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment