Wednesday, August 30, 2017

August 30, 2017


Prayer as Incense


“May my prayer be set before You Like incense.”  Ps. 141:2

Often I think of Anna in the Bible.  She was a widow who spent her days in the Temple.  She was what we would call today a prayer warrior.  It is very interesting the role widows had in the days leading up to Jesus and in the early church.  In my mind I picture Anna offering her daily prayers to God and God receiving them by their scent.

Prayers and incense are found together several times in Scripture.  Prayers, supplications, requests, and intercession are a pleasing aroma to the Lord.  I wonder if each one has a distinctive fragrance.  I wonder if God instantly recognized Anna’s prayers by their aroma. 

Then I turn to my prayers and I wonder if God can detect the fragrance as I set my prayers before Him like incense.  I hope they do; I hope my prayers make their way with the aroma God desires and notices.  He knows the prayers of my heart.  May He receive them as my offering.  May He answer me as He answered Anna.  May I be found in the uncontained Temple in these later years of my life, dwelling in the house of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment