Friday, September 1, 2017

September 1, 2017

You Are My People




“I will plant her for Myself in the land; I will show My love to the one I called ‘Not My loved one.’  I will say to those called, ‘Not My people, you are My people,’ and they will say, ‘You are my God. “   Hosea 2:23


The prophet Hosea was given a daunting task by the Lord – marry an adulterous woman and have children who are not faithful.  Gee, that make me pause the next time the Lord prompts me to speak an encouraging word to a stranger!  Hosea obeys God’s instruction and in so doing, brings a message to Israel.  God’s very own chosen people had engaged in adulteress behavior and been unfaithful to God.  In fact, chapter one of Hosea gives us the names of Hosea’s children: Lo-Ruhamah (not loved) and Lo-Ammi (not my people).


After a period of punishment for disobedience, God will allure Israel back to Himself.  The last half of chapter two in Hosea focuses on God’s amazing capacity for tenderness, mercy and forgiveness.    He will take Israel back, just like Hosea takes back his wife after she has been unfaithful to him.  Hosea buys her back and ultimately, God buys Israel back through Jesus.  He does so in order to work through Israel to offer salvation to all who call upon the name of the Lord.


God promises to plant His chosen people in the land.  God promises to show His love to those who rejected Him.  God promises to reclaim His people and He predicts the people will reclaim their God.


Does this strike a familiar chord within us?  For many of us, we rebelled against God and all things authoritative.  We went our own way – and God let us.  When we finally reached the end of ourselves and turned to Him (for the first, second or third time), He was there – unchangeable and unflappable by what we did.  It shifted to now focus on what we would do.  He gathered us in His warm embrace.  We got a new name: God’s people.  We were loved by God.  In turn, we laid claim to God.


Both Paul and Peter reference this great Old Testament truth that became a reality in Jesus the King – the King not just for Israel, but King of the entire creation.


No comments:

Post a Comment