Friday, September 22, 2017

September 22, 2017

Commit to the Lord


“Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed.”  Pvbs. 16:3

This is one of my favorite “application verses” in the Bible.  It turns into an easily personalized prayer for virtually any situation.  There is tremendous power in praying God’s word, because, as Hebrews 4:12 reminds us, the word of God is alive and active, at work in our lives.

How have I prayed this verse over the years?  I have committed my daughter to the Lord, so that His plans become my plans for her life, and therefore those plans will succeed.  Left to myself, I can easily make a mess of things.  I need God’s plan, God’s wisdom, and God’s strategy.  The best start is committing whatever I am praying about to the Lord.


The word succeed in this verse in Hebrew is kun, which is better defined as “established.”  I want God to establish His plans in people’s lives and in the various matters of life I bring to Him.


I have committed my daughter’s marriage to the Lord, and her future children.  I have committed the prison ministry work that we have been blessed to do.  I have committed my business to the Lord.  I have committed churches to the Lord.  I have committed prisons, prisoners, officers, and visitors to the Lord. 


Back in 2006 I committed my mom to the Lord, as she lay in a nursing home in declining health.  He took her home and since it was His plan, it succeeded.  Newborn babies have been committed to the Lord, the lost girls in Nigeria and the youth of inner city Chicago who fear for their lives have been committed to the Lord.


It is interesting that the Hebrew word for commit is galal, which means to roll away.  I like the implication of that word; that in prayer, I am afforded the opportunity to roll away from myself such matters.  I roll them away from me and to the Lord.  I let His plan develop and let it be established.  Try praying with this verse for 21 days and see what the Lord will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment