Wednesday, November 8, 2017

November 8, 2017


The Boat in a Storm



“Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of Him to Bethsaida, while He dismissed the crowd.”  Mk. 6:45


Why would Jesus leave us?  Why pile us all into this tiny boat, and why is He staying behind?  He’s done this before – leaving us to wander off by Himself.  It is so frustrating!  I thought we were in this together.  The wind is impossible; the boat if going nowhere.  The harder we row, the worse it gets.  We’ve been at it all night and now it’s nearly dawn.  I am ready to strangle that Peter – if he keeps yelling instructions at us, I’m going to set him straight!  Peter thinks he is Jesus’ right hand man – the nerve!


What was I thinking when I agreed to do this?  Was I out of my mind?  Look at me now.  I left my family, left everything I knew to follow Jesus.  Now I am out here, cold and wet and the storm is getting worse.  Really, do I deserve this?  This is what I get for saying yes?


What is that out on the water?  Oh no, we’ve been left here to die!  We will drown or be killed.  It looks like a ghost!  Peter, be quiet!  That can’t be Jesus – you are always saying it’s Him.  Stop talking – you are our death sentence!  Peter, sit down, now you are rocking the boat and it will tip over!  O God help me, forgive me, I don’t want to die!  God, help!


It’s – Jesus!!!  It is Him and He is walking on the water!  How can this be?  Am I seeing things?  He’s coming into our boat.  Hold on – the wind stopped.  Somehow Jesus fits into the boat, already crammed with people.  How can all this be happening?


Jesus, forget my questions – I am so glad You came to my rescue.  I don’t have to understand it to receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment