Friday, February 2, 2018

February 2, 2018

Believing the Lord

"Abram believed the Lord, and He credited it to him as righteousness."  Gen. 15:6

God spoke to Abram in a vision, according to Gen. 15:1.  In that vision, the Lord said, "do not be afraid, Abram.  I am your shield, your very great reward."  Abram believed the Lord and the Lord counted Abram's belief as righteousness.  Friends, this is the remarkable result of belief, or what we call faith.
Out of all the spiritual gifts listed in the Bible, the one I want is faith.  When I am around people of great faith, it is invigorating.  My faith grows!  Lots of folks tend to think of faith as a New Testament term, yet here in the very first book of the Bible, is Abram.  His name hasn't even been changed yet - and he is believing the Lord.  He is demonstrating and exercising his faith.  The result is God makes a deposit in Abram's righteousness account.  Abram becomes known as the father of faith, of all those who believe, according to Romans 4:11.  Faith is a powerful gift.  It allows us to believe in things hoped for that are yet unseen, as Hebrews 11:1 so beautifully expresses.
Faith lets me stand in the midst of the unknown and speak to the One I know, for He knows all things.  Faith equips me to receive the words of the Lord, "do not be afraid, Sue.  I am your shield, your very great reward."  Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment