Wednesday, February 21, 2018

February 21, 2018


Remain in Christ’s Love


“As the Father has loved Me, so have I loved you.  Now remain in My love.” John 15:9

Picture a bloody, battered beyond recognition Jesus barely walking up a road to the Hill of Golgotha.  He is walking, each step carrying our sins, my sin, further away.  He desires us to think about the walk, His walk.  He carries the Cross for a time, until He is too weak underneath its weight.  A crowd of onlookers jeer and taunt Him.  As He slowly moves one foot, then the other, He turns and looks directly at me and says: “This walk is for you.”  It causes me to write to God.

Dear God,

I sit here before you humble - grateful and awed by your position in me.  Thank you.  I owe you my life and indeed, these days I have begun to see more clearly what that means. 

Because you first loved me - completely, unabashedly, and without condition or pretense, I am able to love.  Without your love for me, there would be no love I could feel or show for others.  My safety and security can only come from your love – and I know what love is:  that You laid down Your life for me.  And now you ask the same of me - over and over again.  You say – ‘Go there’ and it is up to me to go or not go.  You say, ‘Now leave, it is finished.’  Again, the response is my free will.  And each time God, you ask me to leave myself behind.  My heart stays in a living room, in a chair, in an office, wrapped in the arms of another.  You promise to always renew and restore me - for this I am thankful.  The leaving, or sense of knowing that there will be a leaving, brings my flesh pain and I resist going and giving.  It is hard work being obedient to love.  Yet You continue to reveal Your glorious work for the kingdom - each task requiring the going and giving and leaving. 

Only a loving Father could work in me to bring together those He loves in unity.  Only a God whose grace is sufficient and love is abundant could move lives in such a way that He controls the chessboard, the moves, and the outcome.  Only a Perfect Savior could take the yoke off me and bend down to feed me in times of despair.  Lord, I pray that you will help me to love; I pray Father that You would fill me to overflowing each day with Your perfect love for me.  I pray that You would guide me in all truth, in all righteousness, in all wisdom and understanding.  Jesus, I pray You touch my heart to open the floodgates of love for others.  Father, I come to you.  I long to talk with You and be with You.   Let my days be our days together in a loving relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment