Saturday, January 20, 2018

January 20, 2018

Don't Worry

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."  Phil. 4:6-7

It was the winter of 1995.  I had been looking for a church to attend, and after several attempts, finally went to the church closest to my home.  As I entered the church, a person handed me a bulletin.  On the cover it read, "Don't Worry About Anything.  Instead, Pray About Everything."  It must have made quite an impression, since I recall it so vividly.
This verse is one of those that changed my life, because I began to put it into practice.  When I would find myself worrying, I would stop myself and pray.  I would pray and thank.  I would give it over to the Lord.  When I found myself trying to take it back, I would start over again and give it to Him.  Something profound happened during these prayers - peace came into my life as I realized God was responsible for these answers, not me.  It took the pressure off!

I am so thankful this was one of my earliest spiritual lessons - learning to pray.  The peace Paul describes in Philippians does defy description; it is very difficult to explain.  This peace of God has an active role in protecting my heart and mind. 
If you have a worry today, give it God.  Talk to Him about it and thank Him for handling it.  Sense His peace flowing over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment