Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January 31, 2018

Follow Justice

"Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land the Lord your God is giving you."  Dt. 16:20

It has only been in the last year that Scriptures about God's justice have been opened afresh before my eyes.  A burden has been placed on the ministry for those persons being trafficked, especially women and girls who end up incarcerated as a result.  And so I read what the Lord says about justice. 

In this verse the Israelites are told to follow justice.  It was the justice system laid out under the law, a system of God's just principles nonetheless.  When I follow Jesus, I am following justice.  It is His justice system under the New Covenant, and it is not easy.  It is a justice system that describes forgiveness and blessing those who curse you.  Yet, Jesus cared deeply for the lost, the lonely, the widow, the orphan, and the stranger.  Luke's gospel presents these truths so well for us.  Jesus went right to widows, to Samaritans, to the infirmed and the afflicted.  He presented and demonstrated the good news and people were healed and restored.  Injustice was replaced by the justice of Jesus.
I do not need to follow justice so that I may live.  I live because of Jesus, and I follow justice out of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment