Saturday, January 6, 2018

January 6, 2018

The Appeal

"I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.  Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me.  I am sending him-who is my very heart-back to you."  Philemon 10-12

Unlike Paul, I have not been imprisoned.  Through prison ministry I have seen many "in chains" around the country whose lives are being transformed by the love of a Shepherd-King, Jesus.  Over the past seven years, my travels have taken me to many of the same prisons, where I see women repeatedly.  Over the course of time, I have seen positive change become part of them.  Sometimes it is big change; other times it may be a little thing.  Many of the women I see have grown to be spiritual daughters in my life, maybe in some small way like Onesimus had become a son to Paul.
It is interesting the meaning of the name Onesimus - it means "useful."  This man had been a slave to Philemon and had stolen from him and then run away.  This rendered Onesimus useless to Philemon.  While locked up Onesimus met Paul and became like a son to Paul.  He entered prison "useless."  he left it living up to the meaning of his name - "useful."
Paul appeals to his friend Philemon to receive Onesimus, not as a slave, but now as a brother. Keep in mind the slave master has seen none of this alleged change.  He is called to believe Paul's report by faith.  The basis of Paul's appeal to Philemon is simple: it is Jesus.  A useless man came to prison, met Paul, received Christ as Lord and Savior, and his life was transformed.  Jesus is the Great Transformer.  Paul pushes the limits by asking Philemon to receive the slave as a brother.  The appeal for this is simple: it is Jesus.  Onesimus had his life radically altered by Jesus, who indeed uses all things for good and transformed a life.  It is also Jesus who is our Great Reconciler and the one who has given us the ministry of reconciliation.  Paul taps into that ministry when he asks Philemon to receive the man who is now useful. 
A bit like Paul, I find myself sending women - who are my very heart - back to communities and families with the prayer that they will be received as a sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment