Saturday, October 7, 2017

October 7, 2017

Forsaken


“My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”  Mt. 27:46


This fourth word of Jesus, found in Matthew 27:46, was expressed in the ninth hour.  Jesus was not speaking to the thieves, nor the crowd.  In this ninth hour He was directing His cry to His Father.  It was an intimate conversation that the world heard.


Jesus was the Son crying out to His Father, for God had turned His back from His only begotten Son.  Jesus felt abandoned, Jesus was abandoned – so I would not have to be.  This was the hour that the One who knew no sin became sin for us.  This was the hour that the Righteous One was forsaken as He took upon Himself ALL OUR SIN.  God turned away during this time, as sin was heaped upon Jesus, because God cannot be where sin exists.  This was a word of agony that Jesus spoke.


God did not answer His Son during this time, for Jesus was fulfilling His word, that the wages of sin is death.  The wages were being applied to Christ – to His physical body – during that time of suffering.  I began to realize that suffering was not quickly over – it was slow.  It was – SUFFICIENT – sufficient for me, for us. I understood Jesus was, and is, my Sin-Bearer.  All my sin He was dying for, so that I could live.  He Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross that we might die to sins and live for righteousness. In that hour Jesus was setting me forever free.  Forever free.  He was, and is, a sufficient Sin-Bearer.  I once was a sheep who had gone astray, but found myself drawn, and returning to the Shepherd and Overseer of my soul.


In that time of darkness, that time where there was no answer from God, Jesus chose to trust His Father.  He trusted, though His rescue did not come on the cross.  He trusted, though the silence was deafening.  Jesus was still, knowing God was God.  On the cross, the Son’s rescue did not come.  Rather, His death became my rescue.  His loss became our gain.  He was showing us the full extent of His love, as He loved us until the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment