Wednesday, October 25, 2017

October 25, 2017


Out of Egypt


“And so it was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: ‘Out of Egypt I called My Son.”  Mt. 2:15

Jesus fulfilled what was prophesied in Hosea 11:1 – “When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called My Son.”  We know that Israel was brought out of Egypt as part of the great Exodus.  Egypt symbolized slavery, bondage, and a place of darkness.  The prophet Hosea brings the word of the Lord that describes Israel as a person.  All of these passages point us to Jesus.  Jesus was called out of Egypt after his family went there in hiding.  We see that Jesus is Israel’s ultimate representative – He is the child, He is loved by His Father, and He was called out of Egypt to go to Israel.

I see it on their faces in the prisons, the jails, and the detention centers.  I detect it in the waiting rooms as families sit for hours, waiting for their loved one to be released.  I see it in the long lines on the weekend visitation days.  I often see the signs of being in Egypt.  Just these past two weeks I have been reading about it and hearing about it on the national news – events unfolding that sound like the earmarks of Egypt.  There are people in bondage, enslaved to many things, including sin.  Those sitting in darkness, the Bible states.  There are people sitting in darkness.

I believe Jesus did fulfill this prophecy and that He was and is Israel’s representative.  I believe He is my representative as well.  He represented me by being called out of Egypt.  If I identify myself with Jesus, then I identify with my own calling out of Egypt.  Because of the work The King, My King, did on the cross, I am called out of darkness, slavery, sin.  I am called to light, peace, freedom, and hope. 

For all who call Jesus Lord and Savior, it remains a great prophetic word.

No comments:

Post a Comment