Wednesday, December 20, 2017

December 20, 2017

Hold Fast What is Good

"Test all things; hold fast what is good."  1 Th. 5:21

Lord, help me to test all things and to hold fast what is good.  How easy it is to get side-tracked in this fast-paced world.  Scripture instructs us to test all things.  Friends, this is wisdom.  Paul writes in 1 Cor. 10:23 that "everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.  Everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive."   I need to remind myself of these truths often.

It is interesting that Paul writes this verse immediately after writing "do not despise prophecies."  I am to follow both these instructions - do not run from the prophetic and test the prophetic.  Let me test the prophecy against the fullness of Scripture.  Again, this is wisdom.

When I find what is good, let me to cling to it - hold onto it.  It might be a good word, an act of goodness, or God's goodness and kindness just lavished upon me.  These are the things I work to hold fast to and not let slip through my fingers.

Life has a way of coming upon me and trying to distract me from all that is God and is good.  Today I stop and remember: God loves me.  This is truth; this is good.  I will hold fast to that "good truth" today.

No comments:

Post a Comment