Friday, December 1, 2017

December 1, 2017


Into Your Hands

“Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.”  Lk. 23:46


The seventh saying of Christ on the cross expresses loudly (for Jesus spoke this in a loud voice) that the work had been completed and now it is time to rest.  His words represent His action – “Father, I am coming home.”  It is the Great Homecoming.  In those six wondrous sayings, Jesus spoke it all and it was done.  Now He could go home and rest.  Just as God spoke creation into existence in six days and on the seventh day He rested – so too Jesus spoke redemption into existence in six sayings.  With the seventh saying, Jesus commits His spirit into the hands of His Father and says – DADDY, I’M COMING HOME.


This is Jesus: He willingly gave Himself to those who would crucify Him.  Now, the work complete – He gives Himself to His Father.  This is Jesus:  His first word on the cross is Father, forgive them.  He ends His words on the cross with Father, for the work is done and the relationship is restored.  Jesus yields Himself to God.  He laid down His life with the power to take it back again.  The Son of God was restored back to His Father.  He had been sent – the Word of God became flesh and dwelt among men.  Now – He was returning back to His Father. 


I began to understand those words in my life.  How long I struggled and fought and resisted the love of God.  Not six days or even six years – but years upon years.  I began to understand that what Jesus did was the great expression of my heavenly Father’s love for me.  No matter how long I resisted His perfect love – He waited for me.  Would I be the thief who rejected God’s love, or would I be the thief who turned, realized my need to be saved, recognize my fallen ways, and turn toward perfect love?  I could struggle – or enter into the rest that salvation provides for me.  It was a moment of choice, and finally, I turned toward Him.  I entered love’s embrace: Jesus Christ.  Daddy, I’m coming home.


Just as God waited for me, He waits for us all.  He set aside today for those who have resisted Him, fought against Him, rebelled and rejected Him.  He says to us – it is not too late.  You can come, those who are weary and heavy laden; come and I will give you rest, Father says to us today.


There is one way back home to our heavenly Father.  It is through Jesus Christ, His Son.  He made the way for us to come to Him and say I surrender all.    Come.  Today can be the first day of the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment